Picking a Builder
For most people, a new home is the largest investment that they’ll ever make. It makes sense that you want to partner with someone you can trust, but how do you ensure that you’re getting the best value for your money? This list below will help you to make sure that you not only get a home that reflects your unique personality but also that you get a equitable, apples-to-apples price comparison.
- Begin with a plan – Decide what type of home best suits your family and your lifestyle. If you are just starting out a smaller house plan might be the best option. If you are looking to down-size or age-in-place, consider a single-story, ranch layout. Most builders offer a portfolio of standard plans, and some builders even offer custom design services. Start by checking out the builder’s website or one of the many online plan websites like https://frankbetzhouseplans.com/.
- Decide what features and finishes you want to have in your home – Building Specifications (also called “specs”) are used by your building team as a guide to help choose the right materials for your project. Their overall purpose is to define the requirements for project including the appliances, accessories, fixtures, and finishes you need for your home. Make sure to ask your builder what items are included and what items may be considered “extras”
- Determine your project budget – Getting a pre-approval from your bank is a good place to start. Be sure to specify if you are looking for a loan to buy existing, remodel your current home or pursue new construction as these each have different and unique requirements. Any good builder will ask you how much you intend to spend on your project. Be straightforward and honest. This is the best way for your builder to provide you with a home that will meet your needs. Ask what items are fixed price and what items are allowances.
- Research your home builder’s history – There are tons of great resource online to help you learn more about the builders that you’re considering but remember to take any information found online with a grain of salt. Other resources you should consider are; your local home builders’ association, the real estate section of your local newspaper (looking through the ads and reading the articles can help you to learn which builders are active in your area, the types of homes they are building and the prices you can expect to pay) and always ask friends and relatives for recommendations (good builders get most of there referrals by word-of mouth).
- Once you’ve narrowed down your list of potential builders – the following activities can help you to pick the contractor that’s right for you and commence your project:
- Conducting an interview and meet the company’s representatives
- Ask to see examples of the builders’ work
- Keeping in mind the extra costs that might pop up during the construction process
- Discussing the length of the project
- Signing a contract with the builder of your choice
SEE WHAT MAKES ROBERT K. ACE JR. CONSTRUCTION LLC, THE SMART BUYERS CHOICE!
Call today to set up an appointment 844-420-9908. Meet one of our sales representatives and let us show you some examples of our work.